Colombia Organic Tolima
Flavor notes: Sweet, savory and citric with dark chocolate, lemon and cocoa flavors.
This is an organic coffee that comes from a blend of coffees from multiple contributing certified-organic producers located in the Tolima region of Colombia. All of the coffees in this blend are of European Preparation (EP). This means that they are screen-size 15 and above with a maximum of 8 defects within 300 grams. Organic coffees are are difficult to source in some regions of Colombia so we are very fortunate to be able to partner with farms in Colombia who are using organic practices and achieved certification.
- Origin: South America
- Region: Colombia
- Farm: Various smallholder organic farmers
Altitude: 1200 - 1900 masl
- Process: Washed
- Harvest/Shipping: Multiple growing periods depending on specific region
- Certifications: Organic
- Crop Year: 21/22
Here is a simplified list of the major standards and tenets of organic certification for agricultural crops*.
- Certified land must prove the absence of all prohibited substances for a minimum of three years before achieving certification.
- Certificate holders sell at least $5,000 worth of organic products annually; farms/businesses grossing less than $5,000 are not required to achieve certification but also cannot use the official seal in marketing.
- The soil must be managed using natural practices such as crop rotation and the use of cover crops.
- GMOs prohibited, organic seeds preferred.
- Biological controls are used for the treatment and prevention of disease, pests, fungus, weeds; alternately, approved synthetic substances may be used.
- Acceptance of and compliance with regular audits are required.
* As per the USDA
By the way... What's CP Select? Well, coffee is a yearly crop and much like wine, some crops really sing. While all Specialty Coffee farmers do their best and many farms are extremely consistent, sometimes the magic moves around. On our menu you'll see a number of farms called out by name; La Minita, Kauai Coffee, La Torcaza and others with established records for high quality and consistency. But you'll also see a number of choices we call CP Select. CP Select choices are instances where things need to change in order to stay the same. And that's where we're a little different.
Our CP Select choices like our Estate choices are chosen for their high quality in combination with choosing for consistency from order to order. That's for you. This can be an important element when you've found a type of coffee you love or a certain blend you've created that you want to maintain. Perfection is a difficult goal but we do strive for that ongoing level of quality and consistency in each CP Select choice; that its same as possible each time you order. While those CP Select coffees do lose their bag to bag pedigrees as we source our beans different farms as we search for our choices. They do carry our brand on the site, that's our seal of approval as a CP Select choice. Familiarity and consistency order to order. Our philosophy in the beans menu is one of "jewels and jeans." We absolutely have jewels such as Cup of Excellence beans and many other extraordinary Rock Stars of coffee. And, we also offer super high quality "blue jeans" of coffee; familiar, comfortable, worry-free, trustworthy, high-quality daily drivers. These are our CP Select beans. Equal quality chosen for repeat orders.
We Also Recommend
Mexican FTO Women Producers Chiapas Jaltenango